Unit: Social & Human Sciences (SHS) & Communication Information (CI)
Job title: Admin Assistant for SHS & CI Unit
Duty station: Jakarta, Indonesia
Starting date: May 2014
Duration of Contract: 5 months
Type of contract: SSA (Special Service Agreement) – No extension
Closing date of application: 1 May 2014
BACKGROUND AND RATIONALEUNESCO’s Social and Human Sciences sector aims to develop and promote social policies which uphold peace, human rights, democratic governance and tolerance. To achieve this goal, social policy activities must provide opportunities and empowerment for all, particularly during this period of major social, political, economic and cultural change. The overall objective is to create a grass-root, mass movement throughout the Asia-Pacific region which shares this aim and helps bring it to fulfillment.
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNESCO Office, Jakarta and under the direct supervision of Social and Human Sciences Programme Specialist, the incumbent shall provide assistance for administrative matter for the development and implementation of social and human sciences projects and activities, including the following programmes funded by the UNESCO-Indonesia Fund-in-Trust:
- “Bali Global Forum: The Role of Media in realizing the Future We Want For All” which aims to define the role that media, including social media, could play towards sustainable development, poverty eradication and peace, the axes upon which the UN Post-2015 Development Agenda is being designed.
- “A Sustainable Future: Indonesia’s Strategies to address Climate Change and its effects on society”. In line with the Post-2015 Development Agenda, this project focuses on developing research capabilities regarding social dimension of climate change in vulnerable communities in Indonesia and the ASEAN countries
I. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide secretarial support to the implementation of the Extra-budgetary projects as follows:
- Take dictation and draft routine correspondences and reports
- Prepare informal translations and act as interpreter (English/Indonesian)
- Create and maintain mailing lists suitable for the designated programme areas
- Prepare briefing materials for the supervisor for use on official trips or special meetings
- Receive, screen, log and route correspondences and attach necessary background information and maintain copy for follow-up system
- Assist in making appointments and receiving visitors;
2. Provide administrative and logistical support to the Extra-budgetary projects as follows:
- (e.g. contract for services, implementation partnership agreement, and travel grants)
- Assist in organizing official meetings, workshops, seminars and conferences including making travel arrangements for participants
- Make travel arrangements for supervisor and programme specialists of the Unit for official missions and assist in preparing resultant travel record/claims of the Programme Specialist
- Create and maintain simple computer programme, spreadsheet or database appropriate for the secretarial duties;
3. Provide technical and logistical support to ensure efficient implementation of extra-budgetary projects, i.e. monitor and ensure that reporting and financial disbursement are in line with UNESCO’s rules and regulations;
4. Perform any other duties deemed necessary by immediate supervisor
II. The working hours and work schedule are as follows:
Five (5) working days, from Monday to Friday, forty (40) hours per week.
Working hour starts at 08.00 to 17.00hrs with one hour break, from 12.00 to 13.00hrs).
III. REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATION
- Bachelor degree in business administration, management, finance/ accounting, public administration or related field is required;
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in management/ admin/ secretarial functions within an international organisation;
- Fluency in spoken and written in English and Indonesian as well as possess the ability to draft documents and express views in a clear and concise manner. Knowledge of French is an asset;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Having strong communication skill (spoken and written);
- Knowledge of the UN system, including administrative and financial procedure is preferred.
Please send a cover letter, CV and P-11 form (UNESCO Personnel History form tojakarta(at)unesco.org. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquiries will be accepted. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. UNESCO reserves the right to accept or reject any application.