Term of Reference
Conservation and Rehabilitation Manager
Terms of Reference
Belantara The Belantara Foundation (Bersama Lestarikan Nusantara – Conserving the Nation Together) aims to preserve Indonesia’s natural environment by supporting holistic conservation projects, focusing on ten critical landscapes across Sumatra and Kalimantan, Indonesia. Belantara uses alandscape scale approach to help ensure the balance between long term economic development, sustainable livelihoods for local communities, and environmental conservation. The Foundation supports rehabilitation and endangered species protection, studies to strengthen sustainable landscape management, as well as community engagement and local economic development, especially in areas with a heavy reliance on natural resources.
A multi-stakeholder approach is used in all aspects of the Foundation’s activity in order to address the challenge of operating across concession boundaries. Areas of High Conservation Value (HCV), High Carbon Stock (HCS), and peat stretch across our landscapes, requiring a coordinated response between all concession holders if ecosystems are to be effectively managed and preserved.
As an independent foundation, Belantara is uniquely positioned to work with all interested parties, coordinating and collaborating with those engaged in conservation projects in each of our ten landscapes. Belantara helps ensure multiple existing initiatives are aligned, minimizing
the risk of project overlap while maximizing information and data sharing. Belantara also allocates funding to outside initiatives that share its conservation objectives.
In order to undertake the previous challenge, Belantara is planning to hire Landscape Conservation and Rehabilitation Specialist.
In particular the incumbent will:
- Undertake research, draft reports, synthesis documents and communications on landscape rehabilitation, protected areas strengthening, and biodiversity protection issues in collaboration with partners/colleagues;
- Update the Belantara website on landscape rehabilitation, protected areas and related issues;
- Provide logistical and technical assistance for the organization of workshops including: drafting invitation letters, presentations and documents; liaising with other divisions; communicating with delegates, host governments and partner organizations; and ensuring timely follow-up actions;
- In the context of the Belantara Strategic Plan and Master Plan, analyse and review reports as they relate to landscape conservation and rehabilitation; and
- Contribute to other activities related to conservation, rehabilitation and biodiversity financing opportunity issues, as may be agreed.
Professionalism: Ability to understand complex issues pertaining to biodiversity; ability to work under pressure and to use limited time and resources effectively; flexibility to adapt rapidly to changing situations; ability to ensure that the highest possible quality outputs are produced.
Communication: Ability to speak and write clearly and effectively; ability to communicate effectively with audiences of various levels of seniority and technical knowledge, tailoring language, tone, style and format appropriately; ability to communicate with various stakeholders in politically sensitive situations with diplomacy and tact.
Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with professional and technical staff at senior and junior levels from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Planning and Organizing: Ability to identify priorities, work to tight deadlines, handle concurrent projects and coordinate with the work of others.
The candidate should:
- Have a minimum of 5 years’ experience working on biodiversity conservation and rehabilitation issues and related fields;
- Have experience in literature reviews, technical writing and web content management;
- Have a proven ability to write clearly and concisely in English and local languages;
- Have experience in organizing capacity building workshops.
University degree in environmental science, environmental management, or related fields.
A minimum of 5 years work experience in the field of environmental issues or related areas is required.
English and Bahasa are the working languages of Belantara. Knowledge of other Local languages is an asset.
Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office (in particular Microsoft Excel), email, and internet) are required.
For those interested, please email your latest CV, cover letter and expected salary to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also state the date you can join on your cover letter. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Preference will be given to candidates willing to join immediately.