Vacancy: Finance Officer
Post / Title : Finance Officer
Post Level : Local – Support ICA, Level 5
VA Nr. : 2010/APO/IDOC/LICA/029
Duration: 12 months, renewable
Closing date: 25 June 2010
UNOPS helps its partners in the United Nations system meet the world’s needs for building peace, recovering from disaster, and creating sustainable development. UNOPS is known for its ability to implement complex projects in all types of environments around the globe. In an effort to promote organizational excellence, UNOPS seeks highly qualified individuals for the following position:
The Implementation of the National Strategic Plan for Avian Influenza (INSPAI) project is a four year project (December 2007 – 2011) funded by the European Union (EU). The World Health Organization (WHO) is implementing the project in partnership with the Ministry of Health (MoH). One of the key expected results of the project is to improve disease management, and this includes development of isolation rooms for case management of Avian Influenza (AI) at up to fifteen (15) AI Referral Hospitals throughout Indonesia selected by MoH. UNOPS will be implementing the isolation rooms project in partnership with WHO and MoH
Duties and Responsibilities
- Budget Monitoring, Control and Reporting
- Collaborate with the supervisor to prepare the budget plan for submission to the Regional Office.
- Assist in the review and monitoring of expenditures against the budget. Bring to the attention of the supervisor any problem or discrepancy that warrants further review.
- Assist in the maintenance of the budget database by verifying and inputting approved budgets.
- Review and adjust expenditures/obligations against the approved budgets.
- Prepare operational budget for the isolation room development project in accordance with UNOPS regulations, rules and budgetary guidelines.
- Review for reasonableness and process ‘Requests for Funds’ from approved PIP budget bearing in mind the budget submissions and allotments for their respective operational budgets.
- Play an active role in the preparation of the PIP taking a lead in finalizing the budget for submission to WHO as the Contracting Authority.
- Prepare periodic budget revisions in light of changing expenditure patterns.
- Prepare periodic Imprest returns and replenishment requests for submission to Regional Office (APO).
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, six-monthly and/or yearly reports to track budget, expenditures and balance in formats as determined by UNOPS, WHO as Contracting Authority, and/or EU.
- Put in place adequate internal controls and ensure compliance to these internal control mechanisms.
- Identify weaknesses in UNOPS financial management systems and recommend appropriate controls to strengthen processes and procedures to mitigate risk.
- Examine payment requests for completeness prior to processing as follows: ensure that documentation is complete and all information concerning the payment has been supplied; proper accounting codes used; certification of services rendered written on the payment document and duly signed by authorized officials payment to sub-contractors in compliance with terms and condition of agreement.
- Review and confirm appropriateness of operational transactions process through the interpretation and determination of applicable regulation, rules, i.e disbursement within authorized limits, payroll, contractual agreements, payments to supplier, travel claim, etc.
- Review and confirm validity of charges by verifying authorized amount and ensure availability of budget and funds.
- Maintenance and control of petty cash and prepared report or replenishment
- Prepare payroll registration and process monthly payroll.
- Maintain liaison with the local bank to obtain day- to-day information on rates of exchange interest rates, changes in procedures and bank regulation, etc.
- Undertake monthly bank reconciliation. Liaise and resolves with the bank any discrepancies found in the reconciliation.
- Prepare cash flow projections and analyses cash requirements of the project.
- Approve payments to all vendors dependent on payments from the Imprest Account on a timely and orderly manner bearing in mind UNOPS financial rules and regulations.
- Pay particular attention and ensure the timely processing of payments due to contractors once the ‘completeness’ of their interim certificates is verified and found to be satisfactory. Whenever possible curtail the turn around time for processing contractors’ payments to the extent that improvement on ‘turn around time’ of payments to contractors should be institutionalized as a ‘performance indicator’.
- Prepare vouchers and ensure completeness of supporting documentation, accuracy and correctness of accounts codes charges and input transaction in the computerized accounting and finance system.
- Analyze reports investigate and prepare adjustment required.
- Communicate with colleagues/clients in the areas requiring verification, correction, additional information, etc to improve quality of output and/or account submission and increase knowledge base in the process.
- Carry out periodic review of PO balances and undertake necessary corrective actions.
- Oversee the timely and proper processing and inputting of expenditure data into Atlas thus reflecting real time delivery on the project.
- Ensure periodic replenishment and whenever necessary ‘Special Replenishments’ of the Imprest Account are prepared on a timely basis thus putting in place a system that would engender a regular and sustainable flow of funds to sustain project activities.
- Ensure timely preparation and maintenance of accounting records and financial statements in accordance with UNOPS financial rules and regulations.
- Lead the reconciliation of BRIO and Imprest account statements to check for consistency and whenever necessary take remedial action to correct irreconcilable variations in figures and transactions.
- Institutionalize quality control by reviewing, analyzing and reconciling project accounts.
- Prepare draft documents for internal & external audit and respond to audit queries & observations.
- Perform duties of the Verifying/Alternative Verifying Officer of the Imprest Account.
- Any other duty as requested by the Project Manager.Responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Required Competencies & Knowledge UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
- Sound knowledge in the field of financial management of UN/UNOPS.
- Ability to quickly respond to the needs of the client within the permissible financial rules and regulations of UNOPS.
- Knowledge of Atlas is a requirement.
- Ability to work under difficult conditions.
- Dynamic and creative, using innovative approaches to overcome locally generated challenges.
- Demonstrated behavior of professional and personal ethics, transparency and openness; Proven ability as self-starting team player, able to take appropriate initiatives to further team interests.
- Respect for diversity.
- Creativity and innovation.
- Commitment to continuous Learning.
- Planning and organization skills.
- Results orientation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Teamwork skills.
- Strong service and client orientation.
- Technological awareness.Functional Competencies
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a wide range of specialized administrative and financial tasks, including screening project documentation, analysis and assessment of projects, projects data entering, preparation of budgets and revisions, provision of information.
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems.
- Knowledge of project management.
- Ability to work with accuracy under pressure and with minimum supervision.
- Fluency in written and oral English required. Knowledge of second UN working language desirable.Education/Experience/Language
- First University degree in accounting, finance or other related field. Advanced University degree in related fields an asset.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience in project accounting and financial reporting in acomputerised environment.
- Understanding of IFRS/IPSAS/IAS/GAAP desirable.
- Very good understanding of double entry accounting and preparation of financial statements.
- Fluency in English.
- Previous work experience with UNOPS or any other UN organ’s financial rules & regulations is an asset.
Submission of Applications
Qualified candidates may submit their application, including a letter of interest, complete Curriculum Vitae and an updated United Nations Personal History Form (P.11), toms. Valeeporn Sisawasdi, via e-mail to email@example.com. Kindly indicate the vacancy number and the post title when applying (in the subject line by e-mail).
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a selected candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
* This grade is indicative only. The final grade will be determined at the time of recruitment according to the candidate’s qualifications. For more information on UNOPS, including its core values and competencies, please visit the UNOPS website at www.unops.org.