Swiss Red Cross – Finance Officer wanted
The Swiss Red Cross – Padang Earthquake Response is now looking for strong and suitable candidate to fill in the post of:
Position title: Finance Officer (Ref Code: SRC_TSP_FO)
Unit/dept/delegation: Swiss Red Cross (SwissRC) Transitional Shelter Project (TSP) – Padang Earthquake response
Reports to: TSP Project Manager (PM)
Responsible for: Financial administration and implementation of TSP
Assist the Swiss Red Cross TSP in its timely implementation of all financially related activities.
This position will report directly to the SwissRC PM in Padang. The primary focus of this position is on implementation of community cash grants for the construction of transitional shelter in Agam District area, a location where SwissRC has made a commitment to support the construction of transitional shelters in support of the overall recovery effort being implemented by the Indonesian Red Cross (PMI). Coordination with finance officers and staff within PMI and the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC) will be critical to the success of the position. The Finance Officer will also contribute to Branch capacity development in the TSP, wherever possible.
The Finance Officer will be based in Padang, West Sumatra with weekly travels to Agam.
The duration of the contract will be 4 month with possible extension.
Key tasks and responsibilities
1. Represent SwissRC in all financial aspects of project implementation and always act according to the Human Resource Regulations of IFRC, which he/she has signed.
2. Work in close cooperation with the SwissRC Project Officer on a daily basis.
3. Comply with PMI financial and administrative procedures and IFRC/ SwissRC financial requirements.
4. Keep up to date daily cash record and cash counting.
5. Keep up to date daily accounting and reporting according to SwissRC standard using SwissRC accounting software.
6. Manage petty cash, USD and IDR bank accounts and all financial transactions related to the TSP.
7. Record every transaction on a daily basis and report updated accounting journal weekly and monthly to the SwissRC PM.
8. Organize and develop procurement and purchasing procedures according to the SwissRC procurement and finance regulations under PM supervision.
9. Check financial documents (forecasts, cash requests and reports regarding district Branch operational costs and community cash grants) provided by PMI district Branch.
10. Assist in the revision of cash forecasts and cash requests elaborated by PMI district Branch.
11. Monitor the fortnightly/ monthly reports provided by PMI district Branch on the use of funds transferred.
12. Follow up on the timely submission of transfers from PMI provincial Chapter to communities and PMI district Branch.
13. Follow up on the timely submission of transfers from SwissRC Padang to PMI provincial Chapter.
14. Assist PMI in the cash transferring process and support in monitoring purchase procedures at community level in order to reinforce accountability.
15. Liaise closely with both PMI T-shelter team and PMI T-shelter finance team based at provincial Chapter and district Branch.
16. Ensure that PMI district Branch receives pertinent information about the project in order to optimise roles and responsibilities.
17. In consultation with the PM, establish and implement finance reporting plans and schedules to ensure the PM is kept informed and updated about all financial matters related to the operation.
18. Anticipate and identify possible constraints and bottlenecks affecting the financial part of the TSP and actively propose realistic solutions.
19. In close coordination with IFRC, PMI and SwissRC, actively support efforts to build the capacity of the local PMI Chapter staff and volunteers in support of the TSP.
General duties applicable to all staff
· Actively work towards the achievement of the SwissRC goals through effective managerial and lateral relations and teamwork.
· Respect and observe the Red Cross/ Red Crescent Code of Conduct and staff regulations.
· Ensure understanding of roles, responsibilities, lateral relationship and accountabilities.
· Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross/ Red Crescent principles.
· Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager.
· Any documents, information or data entrusted to or produced by the Admin Assistant in connection with this assignment shall be confidential and cannot be used without prior written consent of the SwissRC HQ Berne, for any other purpose than outlined in the present Job Description. This provision shall be valid even after the completion of the mission.
Personal qualifications and experiences required
University Degree in Accounting/ financial Management
At least 3 years experience of working for an international humanitarian aid organization and in the field of finance administration
Experience in working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent
– Proven experience in community and LGU liaison and with general community development issues will be considered an asset.
– Able to produce succinct activity reports and exhibits innovation in terms of project financial issues.
– Mature, dedicated, efficient, systematic, proactive and self supportive with the ability to learn quickly
– The candidate possesses very good computing skills (Microsoft Word & Excel)
– The candidate possesses professional financial and accounting knowledge
– The candidate possesses very good reporting skills
– He/ she should be able to work in a team as well as on an individual basis
– Ability to work independent and execute tasks in reliable and sincere manner
– Strong ability to communicate with people of different education levels
– Adequately and openly address areas of conflict within the programme and report on such conflicts (e.g. from meetings)
– Excellent English and Bahasa Indonesian Language skills required
Please notice: Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the Ref Code as the subject of the e-mail and indicating the Job title on the covering letter. Please submit your CV, a covering letter and at least three references from former employers and at least three reference persons. The attachment should not exceed 200 Kb, larger files will be rejected. Only shortlisted candidates meeting the essential qualifications will be considered. Applications must be received by Monday, 24th February 2010.
Swiss Red Cross gives an equal-opportunity employment regardless of race, gender, religion, or political affiliations.
Hiring manager’s name
Swiss Red Cross TSP Project Manager