CARE International Indonesia (CII), as an international NGO, has carried out large scale operations in Indonesia, encompassing emergency operations, transitional activities centered on agriculture and nutrition and a range of development initiatives in such areas as water and sanitation, health and micro-credit.
CARE Indonesia in Kapuas, Central Kalimantan is currently recruiting the following position for its project:
JOB TITLE : PROJECT MANAGER
DEPARTMENT/PROJECT : SLUICES
REPORTS TO : PROGRAM MANAGER
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
CARE has been awarded a grant from the European Commission to undertake the SLUICES project in Central Kalimantan province. The project, which officially starts on January 14, 2008, aims at the construction of sluices in two target villages in the Ex-Mega Rice area which would support water levels in the canals in the peat land area high, while allowing villagers to continue to use the hinterland for (responsible) use of the natural resources. CARE International Indonesia is now recruiting for a suitable Project Manager to manage this challenging project in Central Kalimantan, based in CARE’s Kapuas office (Central Kalimantan). The project will be undertaken with very limited CARE field staff and in close cooperation with two local counterpart organizations (YCI and YCHI).
To ensure the appropriate and professional implementation of the SLUICES Project in the most effective manner possible. In particular to make every effort to ensure that the Project’s objectives/outputs are achieved to a high standard of quality according to the logframe and budget, within the contracted project period and in compliance with national laws, EC donor regulations and CARE policies and procedures.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASK
S/he will serve as leader and coordinator of the project team with the following responsibilities:
Financial/Budget and Asset Management
– Comply with CARE Indonesia financial management procedures and expenditure monitoring systems.
– Authorise all necessary Project site expenditure within CARE Indonesia “Limits of Authorisation” table and ensure that Project expenses are kept to a minimum consistent with sound administrative and financial practices.
– Ensure that Project expenditure is being coded correctly and consistently (i.e. allocated to correct budget lines) and that donor funds are used solely for the purposes for which they were granted and in accordance with relevant CARE Indonesia and donor guidelines.
– Check monthly Project expenditure report for accuracy and appropriateness. Regularly discuss with Finance Manager concerning financial reporting issues, errors, trends, payment delays, outstanding commitments and related matters.
– Monitor expenditure on a monthly basis against the approved budget. Review expenditure projections to ensure that expenditure stays within budget. Actual or anticipated expenditure variances against the budget should be included in the monthly report to line management together with any recommendations for changes to the budget.
– In close coordination with the Administration Unit , ensure that assets purchased by or provided to the Project comply with asset management guidelines in the CARE Indonesia Administration Manual.
– Ensure that counterpart organizations undertake proper accounting and asset management procedures in accordance with donor- and CARE-regulations. If required training will be provided to counterpart staff to ensure compliance.
Technical Project Officers, Project Officers, Field Officers
• People Skills: Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to motivate, support and develop staff. Able to work with, respect and empower target communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
• Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication and listening skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of CARE including effective negotiation, facilitation and representation skills.
• Integrity: Maintains ethical and organizational norms, firmly adhering to codes of conduct and CARE ethical principles.
• Resilience/Adaptabi lity and Flexibility: Ability to operate effectively under stressful working and/or living conditions and security risks. Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
• Diversity: Ability to create and maintain a work environment that respects and promotes diversity, fully benefiting from each individual’s unique qualities, gender, ethnicity, background, age, culture, disability or lifestyle.
• Personal Work Management: Sets high standards of performance for self and others and assumes responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments and tasks. Capacity for sound operational decision making and proactive problem solving.
• Knowledge and skills: Requires experience in project management, financial management and administration and computer skills. Understanding of humanitarian response and/or community development.
• University degree in civil / environmental or related field.
• 3- 5 years of in similar position of previous Project Management experience in a similar project in an NGO setting
• Proven track record of ability to cope in a positive and productive manner within a high-pressure environment with sensitive subject matter
• Experience in Implementing water gate and/or environmental programs in a development context
• Experience supervising staff and collaborating with colleagues in an international setting
• Proven management, project planning, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
• Experience in community-based approaches to water and sanitation
• Experience in writing project proposals and donor reports
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, English strongly desired
• Excellent computer skills, particularly us Microsoft Office Software packages
• Willingness to travel and work in remote and sometimes difficult locations
• Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to motivate, support and develop staff
• CARE expects the candidate to have people skills, communication skills, integrity, adaptability and wide project management experience. Former experience in CARE and / or EC funded projects in advantage
Kapuas 80 %; Travel 15 %
TERMS OF OFFER:
CARE is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive salary and benefits package, and a collegial working environment. Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above positions, and detailed curriculum vitae, with names and addresses of three referees (including telephone, fax numbers and email address). Please DO NOT attached academic transcripts and Diplomas and state clearly the applied position code in the email subject.
Please submit your applications before March 17th 2010 to CARE International Indonesia, Human Resources Unit: recruit_381@ careind.or. id
“Only qualified applicants will be shortlisted”